In 1902, 4-H Youth Programs were established nationally, followed by California in 1913. Shortly after this period, in December of 1917, Santa Cruz County established a 4-H Youth Program. At one time, the University of California system owned and operated the property known as 4-H Camp. The working relationship between the UC Cooperative Extension and the camp was a natural fit as the 4-H Youth Development Program is a component of its public purpose in local communities.
The Santa Cruz County 4-H Youth Development Program has a long-standing history with Camp Loma. In 1958, Santa Cruz County 4-H Clubs, Incorporated was formalized creating a non-profit corporation to organize, establish, maintain and otherwise assist in supporting a 4-H Camp. In 1986 a new name was established for this same non-profit organization, Santa Cruz County Youth Activities, Incorporated.
In the 1970s, the University of California divested itself from properties under their ownership and responsibility. Thanks to the wisdom and foresight of Santa Cruz County Farm Advisor, John W. Melendy, (1946 – 1976) the property was deeded to Santa Cruz County Youth Activities, Incorporated, to carry on the tradition of youth development. This action ensured the camp’s purpose would continue and not be lost to other uses. Today, Santa Cruz County Youth Activities, Incorporated maintains and operates Camp Loma.